Friday, 20 January 2012

#20 'Shopping My Stash' - Foundation

When I made my New Years resolutions this year, you may remember number 7 was 'Be Thrifty! No longer waste money on things I do not need/save more'. 

So, in an attempt to do so I set some ground rules when it came to make up. 

I'm the sort of person who has to always have something to be totally consumed with - so my 'obsession' with make up sometimes disappears to make way for other 'obsessions' I might have and this year I'm sort of determined to not let it come back. I have way more make up than I need and to be honest it just doesn't really interest me the way it did do, and it hasn't done for a good few months now. I know this blog hasn't ever been a full on - every post about make up - blog but before I came back to blogging this year I unfollowed so many beauty blogs because I just wasn't interested in reading about someone going out and buying every single eyeshadow in the new range...it all seems so pointless. I have so much make up - and in comparison to a lot of girls I know/read it would be barely a dent in their collections - that I don't like any more, don't use any more, have totally forgotten about. It seems kinda weird to me now that I would get so excited about the release of a collection and need to rush out that dinner time to buy something new. 

I went through each of my drawers - my lip drawer, my eye drawer, my face drawer, my nail drawer, my box full of beauty products - and wrote down a list of everything I have of each thing. And I'm not allowing myself to buy any more until these are finished up! 

There are three exceptions (that I can think of right now): I am allowed to treat myself to a lipstick if I want, as it is my lipsticks that seem to bring me the most joy in my collection! I am also allowed to buy a nail varnish if I really want it - although I will try to use as much restraint as I can :/ and finally, I'm going to allow myself to buy eyeliner, as even though I have a lot of it, a lot of them are a bit crap and its really only Illamasqua's Precision Ink and Urban Decay's 24/7 Liner that I can use. 

So, the foundations/face powders I have to use before buying any more: 


L - R: Estee Lauder Double Wear, Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, Revlon Color Stay, NARS Sheer Glow, Samples of Illamasqua Skin Base.

The bottles of MAC, Estee Lauder and NARS are probably about 50% used so they shouldn't be hard to use. When I re bought Color Stay I was so disappointed as the colour was so different on me to how it had been a few months before. The hardest thing to use is going to definitely be Rich Liquid Foundation without a doubt. I find it so hard to work with it, it's so thick and I am sure now I have the wrong colour, it looks so orange. But, I managed to work with it for a few months and I'm hoping with the right brush, and mixing it with a moisturiser it might work out OK!


MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural, Maybelline Pure Foundation Mineral, Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation

MAC MSF is the only powder I will ever re-buy. I've worked my way through countless others in the past and nothing comes close to how I feel about the MSF! So for this to work I'm going to have to try and save the MSF for 'best' and use the other two up at work :( The Maybelline and Lily Lolo are about 70% each I'd say. 

So with all these foundation products to use up before buying anything else, I wonder how long it will be before I actually put my hand in my purse and make a purchase? Any guesses? 

I'm actually quite looking forward to using some products up, there's always a sense of satisfaction when you hit pan on something!

I'll do a separate post with the other bits of make up I have to use up later this month! 

Have you had any similar ideas this year about using your old stuff instead of buying new? 

xxx

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great thing to do, I wish I had as little as you did so the end seems a bit closer lol! I totally know how you feel about Rich Liquid lol I don't actually think I've made a dent in mine! I will HAVE to make a video, so many people have asked how I use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this but more with cosmetic lotions and potions that I don't even remember buying! I get a feeling of such accomplishment when I can throw a container away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I used to hoarde old foundations with hardly anything in!! I used to use Estee Lauder double wear but I now use the Vichey Dermablend. xx

    ReplyDelete