Monday, 16 May 2011

Reading, Watching, Listening, Loving!

In 2010 I started doing monthly posts of books I'd read, programmes and films I'd watched, music I was loving, but somewhere along the line I stopped doing them, and I thought I'd bring them back as I love being able to look back and see what I was watching and loving!



I go through phases where one minute I'm reading books like they're going out of fashion, the next I struggle to read more than a couple a month. The majority of the time the only chance I get to actually read is waiting for the bus on a morning and night, not actually on the bus (unless it's a unputdownable book!) as I get really bad travel sickness! This month so far the two books I have read are Linwood Barclay's Fear the Worst and Jane Green'a Jemima J. I have read a Linwood Barclay book before and while I do enjoy them, I have another waiting to be read, his main characters really grate on me! The lead in this book made me hate reading the dialogue between him and everyone else in the book! It was a good read though, I'll be passing this over to my dad to read next! 

Jemima J is pretty old now, not sure when I picked it up but it was published in 1998, me and my mum have read it SO many times. It's about a girl (Jemima) who is overweight, and as the internet and chat rooms really kick off in the late nineties she gets talking to a gorgeous gym fitness freak in LA. When he asks her to send him a picture, a bit of photoshopping out her chins and body on a current photo of herself shows that if she was slim she would be absolutely beautiful. This prompts her to become slightly addicted to the gym and not eating, and lose over half her body weight, before jetting off to LA to meet her beach buff. As I'm currently on a diet I remembered how much I loved this and picked it up once again hoping it would give me a bit of inspiration! Has anyone read this? I bloody love it!

I finished Jemima this morning and will be starting The Atlantic Code tonight, pretty excited, it sounds quite good. God, is it sad to get excited about reading a book?! A Night To Remember by Walter Lord is an 'electrifying minute by minute story of the sinking of the Titanic'. I'm a bit of a Titanic geek, I get really into it. Someone requested to swap a book from me on Read It Swap It and I saw the words Titanic and agreed. Then the guy emailed me and said, oh thanks for swapping, I posted your book today, just so you know its very old and battered and yellowed but readable'..I was like oh...thank for telling me BEFORE I swapped it... 


It is literally taking me yonks to read it. It's OK, I find it interesting but terribly sad at the same time, which makes it hard to read, I just can't sit and read it all I have to keep coming back to it! If anyone else is a Titanic geek like me and fancies a read when I eventually finish it holler and I'll send you it! 



OBSESSED with Mad Men. I finished season one yesterday and can't wait to get my hands on 2! Films Lovefilm have sent me this month: The Switch, which I didn't overly like, Eat Pray Love and The Rebound which I LOVED. Can't wait to pick them up for my own collection, also want to get the Eat Pray Love book. Who else has seen this film? 


xxx

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read leisurely in years, and suddenly I'm getting the urge and have started reading Bourne Identity, and have asked my parents for a Kindle for my bday lol!

    I'm looking forward to more posts like these, it'd be great to get some suggestions on books as that's not really a topic I talk about with my friends :) Great post as usual love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! I love the Titanic and like you, I find it fascinating reading anything about it, this book on it looks quite good!! :-)
    I really want to read Jemima now too, sounds good, I love reading but unless a book is really really good I can never stick with it, need to read more!!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen the film Eat Pray Love, but am reading the book atm. It's quite good but I'm in one of those non-reading phases, like you said, and I've been reading it for probably 2 months!
    Love this post!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. yey for posts about books! I'm a totally geeky book worm so I love getting new ideas for books to read! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go through reading phases too and currently in a reading phase and i can't read while travelling as i get travel sickness too!
    Also love Mad Men can't wait for season 4!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How odd! Just saw this post about Eat Pray Love and I'm watching it right this second. It's on pause as I type this. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVEEE Mad Men! Have finished series 4 and can't believe I have to wait so long for series 5. Jealous of you having them all to watch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to get back into reading over the summer. Have you read the Pretty Little Liars series? If you like the prog you'll like the books even more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Linwood Barclay I have just read Fear the Worst..brilliant book.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read more i wish i had the time . Thanks for the comment on my blog im now followings urs x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need a new book to indulge my noggin in! These are great suggestions, cant beat a good book xx :o)

    ReplyDelete