Monday, 7 March 2011

Salami Pasta

Hi lovers

Hope you have all had good weekends! My Sunday has been quite productive, managed to sell some things on eBay and also sorted out a few other bits to put on there when they next do a free listings. I also made my lunches for the next couple of days and thought I would show you what it is - I took the recipe from a Nigella cookbook (the latest one) and have made it a couple of times now. I do enjoy reading cooking blogs and random posts about food so before I began making this I thought I would take some photos and pop them on here. 

Small Pasta with Salami

300g ditalini or mezzi tubetti pasta (when I first made this I could not for the life of me find this so I just got some macaroni pasta, I don't suppose it particularly matters what pasta you use!)

75g Salami (about 15 slices)
1 can of chopped tomatoes (400g)
1 can of cannellini beans (400g)
2 tablespoons of butter (30g)
1 Bouquet Garni


First of all, bring some water to boil for the pasta. The recipe says to 'salt generously' but I don't - to be honest I use an absolute ton of salt on every meal (I even sometimes just put salt on a plate and Nando's sauce and just wipe it off with my fingers...I am so bad :/) so if I don't usually use salt somewhere I leave it out! Put your pasta in and then cut the salami into strips, placing them in a pan on a medium heat.


While your two pans are cooking, drain the can of cannellini beans. Does anyone else physically retch when opening a tin of these? I absolutely hate the smell! 


After one or two minutes of the salami cooking pour the tin of tomatoes in along with it. The recipe then says to slosh some water in the empty can and pour 1/2 into the pan but I only put a small amount of water in, perhaps 1/4 of the can, I find it too watery with half a can. 


Drop in 1 tablespoon of butter, stirring well, then add your drained (smelly) beans. Finally, add your bouquet garni and just leave to bubble away. 


Once the pasta is cooked Nigella says to take a small cup of the water the pasta was cooking in before draining, that way if your finished product needs it you can add some more. I again don't bother with this - I am not a fan of pasta dishes that are really watery and saucy, I prefer thicker consistencies, Once the pasta is drained transfer it into your sauce and give it a good stir to make sure all the salami doesn't end up at the bottom! Leave to stand for two minutes. If you wish to add the remaining butter do so now - I don't add another one, I never put butter with my pasta and just think especially when I'm trying to count my Weight Watchers points it just adds to it, I personally can't tell the difference. 


The recipe makes four servings and I think it's such an easy thing to make - it's literally a ten minute job and it's perfect to box up and take for lunches if you prefer a fuller dinner. I think it would be just really easy to adept as well, I keep wanting to try pepperoni in place of salami just as pepperoni is more tastier and adds a bit more spiciness to it, I personally think salami is very plain and when I'm eating this I add loads of salt. I really need to work on stopping this salt problem! 

For anyone interested and on Weight Watchers, I pointed the food up and worked it out at around 11 pro points. I can have 30 pro points a day and I know, for instance, my mum will have her breakfast and then for lunch just have fruit and yoghurt, but I prefer to have a larger lunch, once I've eaten my tea I don't eat after that so in an average day I have around 5 points for breakfast, around 11 on lunch, 11 on dinner and then the remaining I might have a WW bar at work. So this might be a bit too high in points for someone to have at lunch but I find it just right! 

Please let me know if you liked this kind of a post, and whether you've tried/will try this meal! 



Loves xxx

5 comments:

  1. I love posts like this. I really need to start making my lunches for work.

    Sadie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I really love these kind of posts and getting recipe ideas! :)


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lush!

    I love cooking/baking posts :) would definitely like to see more!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely looks yummy! Would substituting pepperoni for salami add a lot in terms of calories/fat? I think it'd be better to go with something with more flavour than add salt, for sure. I might have to try this out! :) Hope you have a fab rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delicious! (and i'm sure it was, haha) x

    http://lemonxmelon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete