Sunday, 20 September 2009

Books Glorious Books

I am an avid reader and have always been interested in reading. As a little girl I had loads of books lining my two bookshelves in my room, most notably Famous Five, Secret Seven, Sweet Valley High (♥) and The Babysitters Club. I hated at school when reading was thought of as a bit geeky and boring and truth be told it winds me up now when people are a bit :/ about it. My wish list on Amazon is over 20 pages long, full of books and DVDs that I want and although I am currently inactive on it, I have raved about Read It Swap It loads of times. I am trying to work my way through the wish list swapping books for ones I want, but when I couldn't fit any more on my bookshelf I thought I'd better have a break whilst I got through them. Now I have so many books lying around waiting to be re-listed on RISI I really need to get a move on and read more so they I can get swapping again!! It doesn't help though when I decide I need books like this NOW...



I bought these three yesterday - 3 for 2 at Waterstones people - and I know (I hope) that I will love them. I've been excited for True Blood since forever and am ashamed I have only just picked up the books! I don't want to watch the TV show yet though - I think I will wait till it comes on DVD here. I read it will be on Channel 4 soon? But then there will be the ad breaks...and we know I love a good box set!!

I finally finished Alphabet Weekends this weekend (!) - I have been reading this for ages it seems and just couldn't get to the end so I made myself read it this weekend amongst tidying my room - tidy a drawer, read a chapter! - and in the end I gave up the tidying to finish it. I loved the ending though I did think it was a bit predictable but that doesn't mean I didn't like it! I want to do the A - Z with someone now though!

I was going to finish it last weekend but I left it at work so I picked up another book I had been wanting to read for a while:

...and it didn't disappoint! I picked this up a few months ago because I love all things New York and then I found out the author is the same person who blogs on Beauty Mecca. The only bad thing about this book is that it has made me just want to up and leave and go to NYC! I am so desperate to go back there and I really want to just book a ticket and leave. I really recommend this book! Has anyone else read this?

I thought I would just add in some of my favourite authors/books - I haven't included my Twilight books, which are pretty damn thumbed through I must say, and Harry Potter ones, or my most favourite book of all - Where Rainbows End by Cecilia Ahern. I have read this SO many times I cannot tell you - I have a tendency to pick it up every Winter and read it. It makes me laugh, it makes me cry, it makes me feel warm inside - and I love it. If you haven't read it I obviously recommend it!!

I love Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic range so much that I cannot bring myself to watch the film of the first one. I prefer the first books though, I think they got a bit boring towards the end of them - I'm not sure whether she is going to be making any more. I read Remember Me recently and loved it and can't wait to read Twenties Girl, it sounds brilliant! Favourite from these? Would have to be the first book, The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic.

I have mentioned this in the past but while I was taking photos of my other books I spotted this again and thought another mention wouldn't hurt. See what I said before about it here.

Marian Keyes is one of my favourite authors and I own or have read all her books (I'm sure I own them all in this picture) I love the series she does about the family, that being Watermelon, Rachel's Holiday, Angels and Anybody Out There - these were the first and bottom books on here and the Polaroid thingy has cut them off. I love Watermelon! I have read The Other Side of the Story loads but not for a while, maybe it's time to get it back out.
Christina Jones writes a series of books that all revolve around the same village, characters and are a bit witchey. I have this thing where I have to read them every Halloween/Autumn because they make me so excited for this time of year!! I can't wait to read them this year!! There is one more that I don't own - Heaven Sent, which I might have to buy in time for me re-reading this year.

What is everyone elses favourite reads, or have you read any of mine?

xXx

17 comments:

  1. Hell yeah to Babysitters Club! I loved them. Along with Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High and do you remember.. 'Are you there God, it's me Margaret?' :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved I Heart New York but yes it made me desperate to go back. How nice would it be to just pack up and head off like that?! Well maybe not in that situation but you know...!

    I'm also with you on Marian Keyes, my fav is Sushi for Beginners :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading. What great choice of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, great post. I love som eof your faves - Sophie Kinsella for example,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wish I had a second life just for reading! There are so many books I would love to read, that I think it would take a lifetime or more to read them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started watching True Blood and I want to read the books so much! But I still didn't get any. Please tell me what you think of them as soon as you finish reading!
    And I agree with you. Reading is one of the best things ever. I can't understand people who don't like books. I like them so much, I never part with mine. I don't care what people say, or how many shelfs I fill with books. I just can't give them away.
    Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'v read nearly all of the books you posted. I love to read so much, we donate the books we don't want anymore to the local hospital as they are always asking for them. Means theres lots of space for new books! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I loved Nancy Drew! Do you remember The Boxcar Children? They were big over here in the states. I LOVE True Blood too. You will not be disappointed when you watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post!

    I just finished reading all the True Blood books that are available on paperback. Overall entertaining - but very different from the show and the writing is not necessarily the best though.

    I love Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes too - will check out the others you've suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in WHSmiths once and a young girl picked up a book and was toying with buying it (it was a Georgia Nicolson one) but her mum came over and said in a disdainful manner, "don't waste your money on a book, go upstairs and buy a CD or something"

    I was horrified that a parent was telling a kid NOT to read!! If I'd been more flush with money I would've bought it for her!

    I keep meaning to pick up the Accidental Time Traveller but keep forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you make me want to read english language books ! (i'm French) Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sophie kinsealla, i did a review of remember me on my blog http://www.westcoastcooler.ie/blog/forget-me-not/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I loved famous five as a kid and Kinsella always writes good books x

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're going to love the Charlaine Harris books and I want Sookie as my friend. but don't worry about watching the show - it has many elements of the books, of course, but it went in an entirely different direction with many of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Dead Until Dark and I didn't really care for it. Sookie is cool onscreen, but I found the first person narrative really annoying. (Plus Sam is way better in the show). Oh well, just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just recently read Sophie Kinsella - Remember me?

    I loved it.

    ReplyDelete