Thursday, 16 July 2009

So Emotional

I'm sure I found this through a post somewhere on some blog I follow, but I can't remember whose. (So if it was you, thanks for drawing my attention to it! )

A website called Future Me.

Basically you write an email to yourself. You set the date - it could be a year, two, three - however many years you want it to be - and then on that date in the future, you will receive the letter you wrote to yourself all those years ago.

I had seen this before and I can't remember what drew my attention to going to the site again tonight really. (It's bugging me now - there was a reason! Have one of you blogged about something similar or something??!) I logged on and started reading some of the public entries and the more I read the more ideas were in my head about what to write to myself at age 27 (almost 28).

So I set about writing one. And I feel like a total geek saying this, but OMG, it emotionally made me feel like......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... lemme explain why. I wrote about what I had done tonight (been for a meal), who I had done it with (family, bro's GF), how I wonder if those people were still in my life. What I had done today (bought a jobs paper), how I wonder if I was still working there (I hope not). About men, about men I have loved this year (well, the one, and the one that was a big like) and how I wonder if I would have someone then. And how I hope so, I really hope so, and how I miss cuddles and randomness of having someone to be with. :(

Will I have kids then? Am I still friends with my friends, are they still with the people they profess to be with in five years, are they happy, am I happy?

What about my brother. He will be 24 then. Which sounds weird. How is he? How are my parents? Is my baby darling cat alive still?

Does it sound really silly to say I cried when I was thinking about it as I was writing?
It made me think how life is so short. We don't even know what is happening right now. Something could happen to a loved one tomorrow and we won't be able to prevent it.
It makes me so sad to think like this.



Do any of you feel the same and understand what I am saying, or am I babbling, am I making no sense?




My email arrives in my inbox on Wednesday, July 16 2014.



I can't wait, at the same time as being upset, to receive it. And I'm trying to look forward to the stuff that will happen in between. :)


34 comments:

  1. Wow... Imagine reading that when you get it! You will totally have forgotten about that by then and all of a sudden, all those memories coming back to you! I want to do that... but I don't know how to send an e-mail on a later date.. I have to figure that out :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an english teacher in college that made us do that. We self addressed an envelope to ourselves exactly one year later and wrote a letter to ourselves. There were no guidelines, we had complete freedom, and it was very interesting to see how much my life had changed at that point. I think I am going to do another one... you inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not babbling at all. I totally understand what you mean and how you're feeling. I think this is such a fun activity (no matter how draining it might be). GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a great idea! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll probably cry buckets if I were to write one right now! Yes tomorrow will be a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! What an amazing idea! Tomorrow will be a better day love, it will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across that website last spring while I was studying abroad. I wrote myself an "encouragement" email that was delivered right before I went into finals my first semester of law school. I had completely forgotten about it (and it hadn't even been a year!) and it was actually a really great feeling to get it! I might have to write future me another :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the letter you write to yourself today could be completely different then the one you write next month or even next week. An awful lot could depend on the mood your in (or the glass of wine at dinner lol) That being said, what an amazing idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like an amazing idea! It's similar to when you read back written journal entries. This seems like something I want to definitely check out.
    I'm very emotionally driven so I can assure you that this post makes sense and I completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG thats such a great thing.
    I can imagine you would be emotional, life goes by so quickly. My motto is live for today because you never know whats around the corner!

    Lisa
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can totally relate! i almost cried just thinking about what i would write and how quickly life passes and how sad i would be reading it in the futures if something had changed for the worse.

    i totally understand, and i think it's really cool that you did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that idea...guess what I'm going to try to do over the next month...

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that's such a cool idea, i think i'm going to go and do one :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a neat idea! I may have to do one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds a little hardcore for me... think I would have to wait until I was in the world's most cheerful mood otherwise I'd end up a mess! I like the idea of writing to yourself when you know things are going to be a bit tough though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a cool idea! I might do it - would be so interesting to read later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds sooo cool!

    bisous,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great idea -- will do!

    following your blog. found it c/o airing my dirty laundry's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, that sounds like such a great idea and I'm sure it would bring up the emotional side in anyone, to think about how much life could change in five years! I remember we did that in high school; we wrote letters to ourselves and the chaplain was going to send it to us during our first year of university. Such a weird yet neat experience, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's such a neat idea!

    About ten years ago, during a time when I was particularly unhappy with myself, I glued a CD - shiny side up, so I could see my reflection - into one of my journals. I wrote on it, "What I see reflected in this CD, at 18 years old, is NOT what I'll see tomorrow." And thank goodness ... I was right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that sounds like an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! I do a similar activity with my eighth grade students. On a different note, I have a little something for you on my blog: http://lovelifelists.blogspot.com/
    have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never heard of that before, sounds good, i may do it a year from now!! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It will be interesting to see how you feel when the times around and how things have changed!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i've never heard of this site but i think i might do that tonight. and NO you are noooot silly for gettng emotional. just thinking about the future gives me goosebumps and butterflies in my tummy. the future can be scary. but just think of all the amazing things that will be in your life in 2014. i only hope for the best for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great idea! I just did something in the reverse but love this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that idea, and am a firm believer if you write things down the easier that they appear to happen.

    I will definitely give it a go,

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. As I think your blog is extra lovely (and I so agree with your Team Jacob status!!), I've give you some rather lovely awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahhh what a tender post! its so scary sometime to think of the future holds, but i'm sure yours will be grand!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think it's pretty cool! It's like writing a letter to yourself and ask someone to post it 30 years later for you!


    *loves*

    ReplyDelete
  31. i have been meaning to write on that site for the longest time...just cant muster the courage!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow. things like this always give me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete