Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Bank Holiday

I have decided to follow the lead of many others and go on a spending diet as such.

It's not particularly a strict one, as I will still have £140 a week (not including transport) so that's for lunches and anything I want to buy, any drinks etc. I know a few of you are on ones that are like £30 a week so mine will seem ludicrous but this year I have wasted so much money. At one point, last month I was spending up to £200 a week on wine alone in the local pub after work so its kind of a spending diet, lifestyle change kind of diet.

Every month I say I will save money and put bits aside, not buy this, not do that, not go into my overdraft but every month I do. So after pay day last Tuesday I worked out (after making my last purchase of the TS shoes ;) ) that I would need X amount for bus fares (£5 a day - fecking scandalous the price of a bus journey these days) and then worked out the rest of my money. I drew out the bus money which is now in a money bag in my room. I think I am just going to take it out each day instead of having it all in my bag at all times - previous experience has proved this to be an excuse to break into this travel money in the pub. I have drawn my £140 for the week out (I will be doing Thursday to Thursday) and given my bank card to my mum. The feeling of not having a card is so weird - not being able to just purchase something online or hand it over or even just have it in the space it belongs in in my purse.

Re the saving money, this is going to start next month. I still needed money this month for the holiday and I get back on pay day so I will devise a plan then but at least I will have missed the fourth week of the month which is usually when I start overdrafting, lending money etc.

So on Thursday, being the first Thursday after payday and late night shopping, it was time for my once a month trip to Primark. I drew my money out and took from that what I was going to need for my Bank Holiday weekend - I also have a friends birthday tomorrow night. I went for a drink after work with my boss and shopping partner and the boss paid for it so that was a thumbs up.

As soon as I stepped into Primark I felt the difference. I have a habit of spending £100 or so in there as from the minute I step inside the en trace I grab a basket and start filling it with anything I remotely like the look of. I might take £20 or £30's worth of stuff back but this time I didn't have that choice. I had to really think whether I would need it and whether the value for the money was good (!) as I only had £60 to last me this trip and lunches etc until the following Thursday. All in all, I only purchased this purse (£3.50):



and this batwing top which I ♥ (£8.00)



I did also buy an oversized shirt - I have one I bought from River Island last Spring and have lived in it. I spotted the newer version last week but for £40 I don't know whether I *need* it and then spotted the Primark one at £11 but when I got home it didn't look right, the buttons were all a bit squiffy. I also got a beaded bracelet in pink which I don't even know why I picked it up, it was awful. Another difference, having no bank card, was that usually when I do go shopping, I never try clothes on - hate changing room mirrors, queuing to get in them and wasting time. When I need to return I leave going back as long as I can. As I needed the money I went straight back the following morning before work to get my refund straight back in my (new) purse. Nipped for a quick drink after Primark to the pub across the road - for a small glass of wine (Blossom Hill) it was only 99p!! So had one of those and shared a bag of McCoys. I had my day rider so didn't spend any more.

On Friday after getting my money back from Primark I nipped to Bagel Nash and bought my new favourite thing. In lunch I had to go an buy some drink for that night and bought a chicken drumstick too - I don't know whats happening with me at the moment but I am obsessed with chicken! For the past four weeks now I have eaten so much - chicken legs, chicken thighs, chicken breasts - chicken mad. (I'm already thinking now how I can manage to fit eating some into my day tomorrow). I was going to my friends after work and usually as she only lives 15 mins away I would have got a taxi for about £7 but this time (for the first time in 3 years) I got the bus - like I say, something I would never have done before.

It was said friends birthday and I just took £30 out with me and put that together with my friends £30 and we got our drinks from that. It was a bit daunting going out clubbing without my card and only that much - when I go out usually I spend about £70 and we had less than that between us, to include taxi fares. As we drank so much before we went out we actually only had two drinks in the nightclub and just danced instead. So we had about a tenner each left over at the end of the night :) I had a really good night too, I don't tend to go out as much any more. I really didn't want to go out again on the Saturday (think I blogged about that) but managed to pull myself round. Saturday was OK, not as good as the night before but OK. We went over our budget though and my friend had to go to the cash point on the way home to pay for our taxi - only an extra fiver though, so I spent £35. Lounged on the sofa all day yesterday watching episodes of Charmed. I adore Charmed, it's one of my favourite things to watch, I have all the DVDs and can just watch over and over.

Today I was debating about whether to go bowling with some friends. I have £40 left until Thursday now and I have to go for some food and maybe more tomorrow night, and in the end it was a bit too late to start messing about. So my Bank Holiday Monday was spent laid on the bed with my pretty little cat, reading, facebooking, ebaying, itunes'ing, watching Waterloo Road, Shameless and The Inbetweeners on Catch Up. And I loved it :) :) :)

xXx

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan!! You seem determined too :). I'm doing something similar at the moment (just started), i haven't got an overdraft but i waste so much money on crap!! I don't drink too much, just on a weekend if i'm out on a night out really, it's all the other stuff which adds up for me. Good luck and update us on your progress xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us posted on how you get on.
    Nothing wrong with chicken everyday i live on the stuff..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many good intentions, then I wander past the Mulberry shop and it all goes out the window!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just don't even look anymore. the less i spend the better. Blogs are almost therapeutic for me...if i reeeealy want something i can't afford, i post about it. then i can get it off my mind, weird how that works ;)

    thanks for saying hello! have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good thing you're saving money. I should do that too... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try and keep myself utdated! I'm not so clever at that I have noticed! hehe

    ReplyDelete